September 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!


Today is my Mom's birthday. This is going to be a bit of a rant. My therapy. We've had quite a couple of weeks but it seems today my guardian angel Mother was watching over us. My husband has been the site administrator for the largest SMI (seriously mentally ill) site in Maricopa County. He's done an amazing job and I am SOOOOO proud of him. His dedication to his staff and clients has been amazing. Due to cutbacks and reorganization, the lay-off game began. We've been living in this shadow and planning for awhile, but when it happens one is never quite ready. I was especially amazed by the manner it happened. Here we are in the business of serving people - and since joining this field I've been amazed at the overall lack of respect and kindness. So...true to form...it happened to us. No severance package at all - just walking papers. No thanks for hard work and long hours - just "give us your keys and phone". Dehumanizing and mean. No other words for it.
And when you love someone...you know how it is...you just ache for that person and want to right all wrongs. But...I couldn't. So we were both absolutely dejected. Tough economy here...and an even tougher field to be in here. We both hit the ground running - planning with thoughts of selling things, going through retirement funds and foreclosure haunting us. And then...to add insult to injury - my tooth chipped. And then...the icing on the cake...I called our renter to see where the late payment is and she screamed and yelled at me hysterically - her husband had died and she had to abandon the house. She didn't tell us but waited for us to call and then called us every name in the book...including Maddie. My heart goes out to her...but it was truly cruel the things she was saying. I hung up on her. This was this past Tuesday. We hadn't been sleeping well anyway and this really didn't help. We took Maddie out of school and cut back all expenses. Basically the house was turned upside down.
So on Wednesday night I'm outside star-gazing and sick to my stomach and I realize that day - Sept 17 - was my deceased Newfoundland's birthday (I love(d) that dog)...which meant that my Mom's birthday was 2 days away. As I child I insisted to celebrate them together and give my dog a cake as well. Something told me all would be more manageable starting in 2 days- today.
George had interviewed with an agency the day after he was laid off. He really liked it but wasn't optimistic about getting the jobs since there were so many others in his position. Well...he got it...a smaller company with people he described as gentle and ethical. And...we have 3 folks interested in the rental property. And I had my tooth fixed today - I was so pooped I fell asleep in the chair !
So to celebrate all...including my Mom's birthday - we introduced Maddie to the Jungle Book. I have some special memories of movies my Mom and I saw together and this was one of them. Given Maddie's current preoccupation with The Jungle...it was a hit! So...we're watching goofy movies, eating popcorn and letting down.
Happy Birthday Mom. I wish you were here for dinner and Mexican Train...and to meet Maddie. She would have been over the moon about you. We tell her about you all of the time...and she looks at your picture and says "Hi Grandma". Today we sang happy birthday to you...but it feels like you've given us the gift. Thank you.

5 comments:

MellyJ said...

What a trying week! You must be ready for one (or 5) Ginormous margarita!!! Your heads & hearts must be spinning. So so so happy that everything worked itself out. I'm sure there were sleepless nights, stress-filled days, and absolute joy/relief in the end. We hope you can laugh at this some day.
Thinking of you,
Yoho's

missy said...

Kelly,

I am crying right now! Your precious, precious family sure has been through it lately. Good things happen to GOOD people and I am thrilled that it life is on the ups again for you.

Your sweet mom is smiling, for sure!

Big hugs!

Michelle R Photography said...

Kelly,
It sure sounds like you have been through a lot lately. I am so glad to hear that you husband found a job (and it sounds like a really great one at that!) and all of the other good news that goes with it!!

Stacie said...

Kelly,

I am so sorry to be reading this so late. I cannot believe what happened to George, especially knowing what a kind, great person he is. His knew employer is lucky to have him.

I love that you share the love you have for your mom with us. It is such a tender, beautiful thing. Of course, Maddie will feel that through you!

I am glad things are looking up. We have had some rough days here. I am hoping for our turnaround SOON!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Kel, and know that lots of people are thinking about you and sending good wishes your way. Call if you need anything at all!

Kathy