May 11, 2008

Thank you on this 1st Mother's Day

I don't believe I could or should celebrate Mother's Day without recognizing the people that have contributed to who I am today. For some "mothering" comes naturally...and I admit I have some of that. But I also have a whole lot running through me from my Mother, my Father, my Sister and my Husband. Without them I wouldn't do near as well or have near the fun that I'm having...
Mom...I miss you today and every day. I see tulips and just ache to be able to buy a bouquet for you, play Mexican train with you and Dad, look and recipes and decorating books, talk about travels and life in general. You taught me about thinking of and caring about people through graciousness and manners...making sure others knew I cared. You helped me with an enjoyment of keeping a house and cooking. You taught me about embracing life and enjoying the little and big of every day. I look at Sunflowers and think of you.


Dad...you've taught me so much about work ethic and "just do it". I've always seen you put your head down and get done what needs to be done for the sake of self and family...and not with ill-temper or negativity but with pride and humor. You were always able to find the silver lining of any cloud. Looking back on all of the changes in your field and the "stress behind the scenes" I appreciate all the more your ability to play Chinese Checkers, badminton, acrobats, getting me a "dink of dater", your stories, your little people drawings, and what a great husband you were to Mom. I grin thinking of your romance and am thankful to have had parents that adored each other. I also grin knowing that all of the wonderful things you gave to me as your daughter you are now giving to mine.




Sherry...my Crow Sister. How much fun I've had with you through the years. You've taught me patience, the miracle of time helping things along, loyalty, choosing battles and letting little things go...and there are so many little things. Laughter, onion dip, Star Wars, and things I shouldn't put down...those are my memories that fill my head and make me smile. Thank you for your unwavering support during all days of my life. And...Happy Mothers Day to you. Colin and Michael are so lucky to have you as their Mother. What amazing men they have grown up to be. I love you and just couldn't ask for more in a Sister or Friend. Love...Bijou

George...my Husband and Friend. You've made this day as a Mother possible. Your reticence going into adoption was understandable...but as always when you give an inch you give 100 miles. Thank you for going on this journey not only with me...but with me with your heart on your sleeve. You are an amazing person and I am so proud to be your wife and so proud to have you as Maddie's Daddy. You make the job of Mom so much easier with all you do that says you love us...washing the van, stepping in for diapers and bath, reading her stories, Friday date night, cleaning the toilets, taking the dogs to the park, and the list could go on and on. Even though today is Mother's Day...I couldn't celebrate it or take half the credit without my partner in crime. Words cannot say how much I love you.

No comments: